8/10/2006

About the Name

Another Inkling…where’d that come from? Why not Ed92 (high school nickname and year of graduation) or Reflections on Narcissus (angst-ridden thoughts of the misunderstood artist)? Well, I like Another Inkling for two reasons. (Beyond the obvious attempt at anonymity.)

On the one hand, the Inklings were a group of writers who met frequently at a little pub in Oxford called The Eagle and Child. Included among their ranks were C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien, two writers I admire and enjoy greatly. Referring to this site and myself as Another Inkling is not so much a grand appraisal of where I am now but an aspiration and a tip of the hat to these greats.

On the other hand, the term “inkling” can mean “a slight hint or indication” or “a slight understanding or vague idea or notion.” Inkling often carries the connotation of a sense of something impending, which relates to preparedness. I sense that our world is getting more dangerous and will continue to do so until the Lord returns. I hear “thunder in the distance,” an inkling of things to come.

So there you go.

No comments: