7/30/2007

Perrier for President!

If you don’t like political rants, here’s a spoiler: This is one.

I am sorely disappointed with the current field of presidential candidates. Third party candidates are hardly worth considering, and neither the Republicans nor the Democrats have any viable candidates I'd be excited about voting for. It’s almost like watching “Last Comic Standing” early in the season, though I fear that once the “lame” ones are weeded out, there will be no one left standing. Do I need to run? Do you?

There will always be those fringe candidates in every election who've got it right, or at least have something interesting to say. But, sadly, we are stuck these days choosing between Coke and Pepsi. What if I don't want a doggone political cola?! What if I want...sparkling mineral water? How about that? Yes, I want Perrier for President! Someone to cleanse my political palate. Someone who won't cause weight or deficit gain. Someone who won't leave a funny aftertaste!

Now, don’t give me the Barack Obama Solution. For a time, there seemed to be a sense that Sen. Obama was the Messiah Returned, but that seems to be fading as he gets more exposure and is forced to take stands on more issues. Don’t get me wrong. He is an appealing candidate in ways, but his roots are in Illinois politics, specifically Chicago politics. And, although I am both an Illinoisan and a Chicagoan, I ask you to please NOT embrace any political exports from here. The one-party political system in Chicago is not known for turning out people of integrity.

Besides his roots in rotten soil, Obama recently came out in favor of expanded government funding of abortion. That’s a deal-breaker for me right there. Alan Keyes, Obama’s opponent in the last senatorial election did not speak the truth in love and was rightly derided for it. He did, though, take Obama to task on that issue and a number of others. Did Obama engage him in an intelligent debate on these issues? No, he brushed Keyes aside and tried to characterize him as a “nut.” To me this was cowardice and “politics as usual.” Let’s see the “audacity of courage” for a change.

The sad thing is that all candidates like to say that they’re not going to do “politics as usual.” Ever heard that one before? If you’re not in Illinois, you may not be familiar with Governor Rod “Santa Claus” Blagojevich. He made that same promise while campaigning and has turned out to not only do politics as usual but is likely to exceed convicted Governor George Ryan on the corruption scale. Believe what they do, not what they say. And for Pete’s sake, please join me in ignoring anyone who says they support “common sense” anything.

OK, back to the election. Dick Morris, former advisor to President Clinton, has made a very interesting prediction. He believes that Hillary Clinton will be the next president. She will be the worst president we’ve had in some time giving the following election to the Republicans. But, due to demographic shifts in the U.S., that will be the last Republican president we see. Chew on that one for a bit. Regardless of your political persuasion, what would it be like to live in a one-party country? It’s not produced good things in Chicago.

Let me know your thoughts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I understand the importance of politics and do take it seriously, I don't enjoy politics-as-sport, as many people do. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just not my thing. I don't have the patience for it, mainly because it's more flash than substance. Call me jaded.

I am still recovering from losing friendships in 2004. I am absolutely dreading '08. (And I never dreamed campaigning and coverage would be starting so early. Silly me.)

I'd give anything to hide in a cave somewhere, come out to vote, and then hide back until mid 2009.

Anonymous said...

Is it cowardice or wise to contemplate/pursue a second citzenship/residency for you & your family & friends in another country if a critical or dangerous time in America called for it?

L&P
Michael Atto
8/14/07

Nate said...

I think from a worldly perspective, contemplating taking up residence in another country in response to or in anticipation of things "going south" in America is not a bad idea. There has been an increase in people leaving the U.S. for Canada in the past few years. (Not my first choice but it's convenient.)

From the perspective of a Believer, though, I think we are called to be salt and light in the area where we've been planted (sorry for the mixed metaphors). When things grow darker and society continues to decay, how much more is that light and preserving agent needed. It is not an easy calling but one that has a great reward. Most Believers never have to go through "hell on earth" before going to Heaven, but there's no guarantee that we won't. We just have to be ready, with God's help.

This doesn't mean that we need to go out of our way to seek peril. In fact, as a father and husband, I have a responsibility to provide for and protect my family. But, I have a calling even higher than that which may well cause me to live places I wouldn't choose to live or enter into situations that may be dangerous in order to live out that higher calling and to serve my King and His Kingdom.

Nate said...

Out of curiosity, Michael, where would you head? Ireland? Switzerland? Israel, perhaps?