11/12/2008

Africa Trip Journal: Part Six

9-20-2008 - Mukono, Uganda

[Our original trip was intended for a shorter period and I made arrangements to visit an old friend from grad school in Uganda. So, on Sept. 20, two flew back to the States, I flew to Uganda and the remaining six stayed on in Kenya. I'll get back to my time in Kenya--just giving you my journal as uncut as possible.]


I'm at Milton's now. He picked me up w/ his driver, Livington, and his two kids. It was an eventful nighttime drive from Entebbe Airport to the Tweheyos. Lots of traffic--cars, trucks, mutatus, bikes & lots of people.


Milton's home is nice by some African standards but is still quite modest. Everything is fairly worn but clean. Thankfully, the bed is quite comfortable. Or maybe I'm just super tired.


I am terribly homesick for my family (more family-sick than home-sick, I guess). I tried to call them but my phone doesn't work here and Milton's internet is not connected yet. It was different w/ the team because their friendship distracted & supported me. On my own I'm rather lonely. God be with me & help me not to dwell on my feelings.


* * *

Luganda words:

webare = thank you

twakushemererwa = welcome
agandi = how are you?

oryota = hi

* * *

9-21-2008 - Bujagali Falls

We have been to the source of the Nile & are now downstream @ these falls. We took a boat ride @ "The Source" and discovered underwater springs bubbling up @ an outlet of Lake Victoria. The Nile travels 4,000 miles to the Mediterranean & takes 3 months to do so. Wow! I bought a round of Cokes and a can of Pringles for the bunch of us. Such a simple thing but a huge treat for them, it seems. It does not seem that there is much for "extras" or luxuries.

I'm feeling better today. Slept well and am enjoying my time. Still, I look forward to Wednesday AM when I begin my journey home.

We worshipped @ the large Anglican church on the campus of Uganda Christian University [where my friend Milton is the Dean and he and his family live]. It was good--reminded me Church of the Great Shepherd & Church of the Resurrection where I used to go. I was one of the few "mzungus" (white people) there and sat on stage w/ Milton & and his family because he's ordained and faculty. Conspicuous yet again.
* * *
I'm sitting in a hut-style bar @ the falls. Men are gathered around a radio listening to a Manchester United game. Funny. Peaceful otherwise.

Oh, now the acrobats are here. Pretty amazing. I tipped them...somewhat begrudgingly. By and large I've found very few beggars. People always do something or ask if they can do something to earn a couple hundred shillings. Occasionally, though, you'll get the hard sell. People are people, wherever they are.

* * *

Well, I've been bitten by mosquitos and am drinking the water in Uganda. Thank the Lord for protecting me thus far.

* * *

Milton is much as I remember him, though his ordination and position @ the university seem to have given him a great air of authority, though he was always a wise friend. Anne, his wife, is as sweet as I remember, though tired. I feel that we relate well. Thankfully my palate has grown quickly accustomed to African food, so I've been able to eat heartily without complaint and often with genuine enjoyment. This evening we ate fruit & vegetables that had been bought on the way back from Jinja. And tilapia from Lake Victoria. Whole fish--just cut into portions. Quite good.

* * *
Exchange rate: $50=80,000 Ugandan shillings

Mututu driver saying - "Kill one to save many." Refers to the crowded buses, the rivers of pedestrians and cyclists and the need, apparently, to choose between a head-on with another vehicle or killing a pedestrian.

* * *

At the falls we saw two young boys who kept saying "mzungu! mzungu!" Then one picked up a long stick and began singing a song of which the only lyrics were "American soldier, American soldier..." (referring to me). Not sure if it was a good or bad thing.
* * *

Had corn on the cob, a banana & instant coffee for breakfast. And the roosters around here crow in the morning and pretty much throughout the rest of the day.
* * *

Met a couple of Americans here at the university. Small world. Was able to get a single email out to the folks in Nairobi to let them know I'm OK. Got a tour of campus, as well, from a Wheaton grad. Funny. It's a nice school. 6,000 students and growing. It's raining now and the only shoes I have left aren't waterproof, so I'll be inside reading Ugandan newspapers for the afternoon.

No comments: